Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tired

When Tanner got home from school today I was lying in bed.
No, I'm not sick. 
I don't have a headache.
I'm not PMSing.
I'm not depressed.
I just finished all of today's to-do's and I felt tired...so I climbed in my bed.
It's warm and my blanket is especially worn in and snuggleable.
It got me thinking about my growing up years...
I can think of ONE occasion when I ever saw my mom in bed in the middle off the day. And, the only reason she was in bed was because she was sick, sick, sick. 
My mom, as I see her, is super woman. She made breakfast AND dinner for my family EVERY DAY. One of my favorite memories is waking up and having either a hot bowl of oatmeal (yum yum) or a perfectly cooked soft boiled egg with toast waiting for me before I headed out the door for school. We never had to wonder about dinner because something was always ready to eat at 5:30 pm. Even during the years when she would work in the afternoons, she would have something made and ready to put in the oven. I sometimes feel bad that my kids only know cold cereal for breakfast and are often having scrambled eggs for dinner because I either fail to plan ahead or am too lazy to put something together. Often I'm just a short order cook because my eaters are picky and it's not worth it to me to cook a meal that only one person will eat.
The house was always spotless.  Perfectly dusted, vacuumed, and scrubbed.
The laundry was always done, and not just done, but also put away.
I didn't realize what a big deal this was until I had a family of my own, and endless loads of dirty, stinky clothes. 
My kids always have clean clothes, but they usually have to sort through basket after basket of clean clothes to find what they're looking for.  And then they're wrinkled, at that.
At any rate, I'm thankful for my mom. For her seemingly endless energy and love and concern.
I know you're reading this mom...I love you Soooooooo much and thank you for being my super woman!

1 comment: